Top 5 Tips That Will Help Prevent House Fires

House fires are killers. More than fifty people are killed every year from house fires and most of these accidents do not need to happen. That’s the real tragedy, the majority of house fires are preventable, you simply need to know the following five tips:

  1. Get & Test Smoke Alarms

Fire kills but the smoke from a fire can be just as deadly. It fills your home, causing you to be disorientated. It also fills your lungs, blocking your body from absorbing oxygen, effectively suffocating you.

It’s the reason why you need to have a smoke alarm fitted, it will detect the fire at the earliest possible opportunity and maximize the time you have to escape. 

Of course, you need to use a reputable supplier of fire safety equipment, this will ensure you have a product that works when you need it to. Alongside this, you need to test the smoke detectors daily to ensure they work properly. 

2. Regular Electrical Inspections

One of the biggest causes of house fires is faulty electrics. Bad wiring causes short circuits which can ignite combustible material in the vicinity and cause a fire. 

Because the electrical wiring is mainly hidden in the walls, you’ll find the best way to check it is to have an electrical inspection by a qualified professional. They’ll identify any issues and help you resolve them, reducing the risk.  It’s worth having an inspection done annually. 

3. Never Leave Fires Or Cooking Unattended

Pans left on cookers can boil dry and cause a fire. Equally, a portable heater can be accidentally knocked over or left too close to flammable material. The result is a fire that will quickly spread and cause a lot of damage to your home. 

You should never leave your portable heaters or your cooker unattended when they’re in use. It’s much safer to turn them off and then back on. After all, it only takes a moment to start a fire and you may think you’ll only be a moment but that can easily be much longer. 

4. Avoid Overloading Circuits

Electrical wiring gets warm as the current passes through it. This is normal. However, if too much current is going through a cable then the heat can build up and actually melt the protective wire. This results in a high risk of a fire. 

If you use extension cables regularly, especially if they are not fully uncoiled, or multiple sockets and overload your circuits, you’re at risk of starting a fire.

You should note that appliances plugged in but on standby still draw a current. If you’re not using it then it’s best to unplug it.

5.Be careful With Flammables

You have plenty of flammable materials in your home, including candles and cleaning chemicals. You need to make sure that the flammables are not near an ignition source. If they are you could start a fire without realizing it.

Being prepared and taking reasonable steps to avoid a fire starting is the best defense. But, if a fire does start, remember to get out and stay out. 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *