• Planning permission and Permitted development rights in The UK – Revealed

    What is Planning Permission?

    To build a certain segment of building you need to take permission from the local council of the planning department. It is called planning permission. They may refuse or grant to build the part of the building as per your requirements. It is based upon certain conditions. And authorities are given by parliament to local planning authorities to take the call on building works. Thus for queries or conditions, you have to contact your local planning authorities prior to build any part or portion. One must seek planning permission to build any building before work begins though it is your call to seek permission or not based on knowledge and requirements.

    Permitted Development Rights

    Not all works require permission from the planning authority. There are certain works which could be done without the permission of local planning authorities. These are particularly known as “permitted development”.


    This general planning permission is granted by parliament and not the local authority of planning permission. This does not apply to all the common projects, it may be applied to many of the buildings such as houses but is not avail for flats, apartments (maisonettes) or other such buildings. Permitted development rights are different for commercial properties than that of residential buildings. Permitted development rights are more restricted for certain areas of the country which are “designated area”. Like if you are living in:

    • An area with extraordinary natural beauty
    • National park
    • World Heritage site
    • Conservation area
    • Suffolk or Norfolk Broads

    Even for certain types of work which may not require planning permission in other parts of countries, may require if you are living any of the above areas. If your building is listed a property or building even then there are different requirements and set of conditions planning permission.

    In order to begin any construction or building work, one must take prior permission from local planning authority in order to discuss the work in advance and take general advice from planning portals. Also, they will inform about why or why not the development is permitted. And you should apply for part or full building permission to planning authorities.

    Ref. Article: When is House planning permission required?


    Withdrawn Permitted Development Rights

    With the issue of ‘Article 4′ direction, there are certain permitted development rights removed by the local planning authority. Thus, you have to submit a planning application for building works which was not required normally. This article for directions is applied when building or work can threaten the character of places with acknowledged importance. It happens mostly in conservation areas. Mostly you will have an idea of such direction’s property but you should always check if not sure from local planning authorities.


    Please note:

    Panning permission for each type of building is different. Such as shops, professional and financial services premise or agricultural buildings cannot change the use of space. Neither they can use permitted development right of householders to improve, extend or alter in building work of the home. In all such cases, one must take planning permission for the local planning authority.

    General Permitted Development or The town and Country Planning Order is principle order for this type of works. There is an order set of classification of development for Planning permission to be granted automatically when an exemption from permitted development rights has no restrictive conditions attached to it.


    An explanatory memorandum is available for detail purpose of legislative background or policy context of the order.



    Small Open Kitchen Designs: 20 Ideas For Compact Spaces

    In large urban centres, small open kitchen designs are a common feature of many homes. In Indian households, where the kitchen is one of the most frequently used spaces, it needs to be comfortable, functional, and aesthetically pleasing. The absolute dream is a spacious kitchen with sky-high ceilings and ample natural light. However, many of […]

    Read More

    Ideas for Integrating Smart Furniture into Your Home

    Not long ago, it was hard for us to imagine walking into a home where the coffee table charges your phone, the sofa adjusts to your preferred sitting posture, and the mirror offers the day’s weather forecast. But times have changed significantly, and we’ve stepped into the world of smart furniture, where technology meets comfort […]

    Read More

    Elevate Your Space With These 20 Interior Design Ideas for Home

    Unlocking the secrets of Interior Design Ideas for Home can be a game-changer for any enthusiast. Even those with a keen eye often seek validation from their Pinterest boards before making changes. It takes time and expertise to master aspects like lighting and floor planning. Whether you’re an experienced or a beginner, having a professional’s […]

    Read More

    15 Sustainable Interior Design Tips For Eco-Conscious Spaces

    Sustainable interior design implies the modern aspect of crafting spaces and understanding varying styles and trends. The need for eco-friendly design emerges from various challenges such as climate change, cluttered space, and losing touch with nature. Sustainable interior design follows the principles of green design, connecting the hues of earth and the texture of nature, […]

    Read More

    50 Best Wall Moulding Design Inspirations For Your Interiors

    Wall Moulding Design is a great way to amp up your space and elevate the overall look of your home. There are a wide range of moulding designs that can add a distinct character to your space. Wall moulding design comes from different kinds of materials, such as PVC, plaster, wood, etc. The right choice […]

    Read More

    Rooftop Design Ideas – 20 Brilliant Ideas for your Indian Roofs

    Rooftop design ideas open up an interesting world for your roofs or terraces to be meaningful and beautiful at the same time. In India, rooftop design ideas hold immense potential to address critical challenges and enhance community well-being. By integrating solar energy generation, green spaces, and rainwater harvesting, rooftops can contribute significantly to sustainable urban […]

    Read More

    20 Screening Evergreen Trees for Indian Home Landscaping

    The integration of screening evergreen trees serves as an artful blend of practicality and natural beauty. These screening evergreen trees, with their lush foliage and diverse benefits, play a crucial role in enhancing privacy. It also blocks unwanted views, and contributes to the overall well-being of homeowners. From the majestic Jamun trees to the versatile […]

    Read More

    50 Magnificent Gate Design That Will Protect Your Home

    Gate Design is an important feature of any home. Numerous scopes for experimentation open up when delving into the design possibilities. Materials like wood and black steel are popular options in Indian homes. At the same time, designers also experiment with a combination of materials that suits their aesthetic. Buying mass-produced gate design has become […]

    Read More

    50 Refreshing Terrace Design Inspirations Essential for Urban Spaces

    A rejuvenating terrace design is a breath of fresh air. One can experience the beauty of the outdoors from the comfort of their home. At the same time, a good terrace design can help one relax after a stressful day. It is a representation of one’s style and character. Terrace Design can seem minimalistic and semi-open or functional with a jacuzzi […]

    Read More

    19 Primary Fundamentals of Vastu Shastra for house

    The word “Vastu” refers to the dwelling place of humans and gods, while “shastra” means science or knowledge, hence Vastu Shastra for house is the science of architecture. Vastu Shastra for house is an ongoing practice in India since one can remember. Almost every architect and designer wields it in conceptualizing their projects. Vastu Shastra provides […]

    Read More
  • House Around A Tree | 4site Architects

    NP Pavillion - Expo In Mumbai | Saransh Architects