The past couple of years have been hard for everyone. The covid-19 pandemic has been an unprecedented world event in the modern era, one that nobody was prepared for, and in many ways, it has led to people rethinking the way they want to live their lives in the future. Many of us have lost people close to us – family and friends – through the crisis, and even for those who have not, the pandemic has reminded us how short and precious life can be. The result is that we have begun to remember to enjoy the time we have here.
How does this tie in with buying a home on South Padre Island? The crisis led many people to buy a second home, one in a place different from their suburban or city existence. Others have decided to move to a coastal location and enjoy the great natural features that the USA is famous for. South Padre Island is a great choice, so let’s look at why that is and how to go about finding the right property for you.
Why Choose South Padre Island?
If you are looking for homes for sale on South Padre Island, TX, you have chosen an excellent place. What’s so special about South Padre Island? South Padre Island is the name of the main town and the island itself. A barrier island in the Gulf Coast, it is connected to the mainland city of Port Isabel by a causeway making access easy. The town of South Padre Island has a population of fewer than 3000, so it is a quiet location. Properties on the island include those in the town, and others spread across areas of the island to the north – the town being at the southern tip of the island.
With the Texas weather being a major draw – although the island has in the past been caught up in storms that caused serious damage – South Padre Island is popular with holiday homeowners as well as people looking to get away from the rat race and start a new life.
Rental is good for those who wish to let out holiday properties when they are not on the island and prices are not as high as expected. Let’s talk about that aspect in a little more detail.
Vacation Home or Permanent Residence?
Fast becoming one of the top vacation home destinations in the USA, South Padre Island is relatively good value in terms of property prices. Here are a few examples we found at the time of writing and have picked to give an idea of what to expect:
- $200,000 will buy you one bed, one bath condo of 580ft² in a beachfront complex featuring two heated pools and more amenities.
- At $385,000, a 2 bed, 2 bath condo of 1,030ft² with all modern amenities and just to the north of the main town represents great value.
- Around $500,000 will buy you a modern and attractive 3 bed, 3 bath apartment in a gated complex in the town center close to the best restaurants, bars, and other facilities.
- At the top of the scale is a stunning home to the north of the island, the more exclusive areas, with a large garden area in a plot of 5700ft² and offering all mod cons and a short walk to a private beach in a gated community.
In addition to the above, you might want to think about purchasing a plot and building your own, and there are local construction companies that can offer sensible rates. An example of an available plot is a 6250ft² in a prime spot north of the town and a beachfront setting perfect for a good-sized property at $138,000.
The choice of property available in this particularly popular destination should suit all budgets.
What Should I Look for in a South Padre Island Property?
As one of the more desirable places to live in the region, property on South Padre Island can only increase in value, so what should you look for to ensure you have the best example available in your price range?
- If possible, ensure you have a waterfront or beachfront setting, or at least just a short distance to the ocean. This is a desirable feature for those searching for properties on South Padre Island.
- If you want to live in the town center, we recommend you choose one of the more exclusive gated communities that have become popular in recent years.
- The further north on the island, the more exclusive and luxurious the properties become. This is where to look for the best and most prestigious plots if you plan a self-build.
- There are good schools for all ages on the island, yet the best colleges for further education are in Port Isabel and other easy-to-reach towns and cities on the mainland.
We recommend you begin your search for South Padre Island property by talking to local real estate agents who will tell you what is on the market and advise you as to potential plots that may be for sale. They are the local experts in the region, so be sure to use their knowledge to further your search.
South Padre Island is popular in March as a ‘Spring Break’ destination for students, so you may wish to factor that month into your rental plans if that is your intention. Both the town and the island are pleasant and friendly places to live, and if you are currently a town or city dweller in a bigger place, you will find the pace of life slow and relaxed.
The island is home to some of the most prestigious fishing tournaments in the region, so if sea angling is a hobby of yours, it’s the place to be! There’s much more to South Padre Island than we have space for, so check it out further and start looking for your new island home.