Have you been putting off your furnace maintenance? A furnace tune-up once a year is a good way to keep your system functioning without problems. Many people only realize the importance of maintenance when there is a problem with their system. But, nobody wants to be stuck with heating problems during the coldest winter months.
A furnace tune-up entails an HVAC specialist performing a check to make sure that all your system’s parts are in working order. They use different tools to clean and adjust the components of your system and test their efficiency. Regular maintenance can extend your furnace’s lifespan, before damage becomes widespread.
If you need help with your furnace maintenance and you are in Texas, Dr. Watts Electric provides furnace services in Temple, Tx.
An HVAC specialist needs to check your furnace once a year. Source
What Does a Tune-Up Involve?
Regular maintenance is the best way to keep your furnace running efficiently over the long term.
A furnace tune-up includes:
- Cleaning of the blower compartment. Your furnace draws in dust, and a dirty blower wheel will be less efficient, which can lead to higher energy costs.
- Checking, inspecting and adjusting wires, as this will help prevent malfunctions and the need for expensive repairs.
- Cleaning the burners so the furnace works more efficiently.
- Inspection of the heat exchanger, flame operation and gas pressure.
- Cleaning or replacing the air filter, as the cleanliness of the air filter affects the quality of the air in your home, as well as the energy-efficiency of the furnace.
- Making sure that the pilot light and igniter are working properly.
- Inspection of the duct connections and air flow. The air should be flowing properly through the system and throughout your home.
- The HVAC specialist will also check for carbon monoxide leaks, as this can be dangerous to your family.
How Long Does a Tune-Up Take?
The process should take one to two hours. The length of the tune-up is also determined by the condition and cleanliness of the system, and its overall condition.
What Are the Benefits of a Furnace Tune-Up?
There are many benefits to a furnace tune-up, the main one being that it improves the overall performance of the furnace.
An annual furnace tune-up prevents potential problems, as the performance of the furnace can be affected over time by dust and mechanical stress. If you are worried about the environment, an annual tune-up will also help your furnace burn cleaner. The HVAC technician will check that your burner is firing correctly. If you have a gas furnace, the burner should have a blue flame. It needs to be adjusted if the flame is yellow or orange.
Less fuel will also be wasted if the burner has been adjusted properly. You should start seeing the benefits right away on your energy bills.
How Often Should a Furnace Be Checked?
You can prevent unexpected breakdowns if you have your furnace checked yearly. During the tests, technicians can spot parts of the system that might be close to failure. You might also need to get the annual service done to ensure your manufacturer’s warranty stays valid.
Regular maintenance can extend the lifespan of your furnace and save you money in the long run. It will also keep your system running more efficiently without the unexpected expensive repairs.
It’s best to give your furnace an annual tune-up, as you don’t want to be caught without a working heating system on an icy, winter’s night.