Maintaining a chimney is essential for sustaining a building and its structure. Lack of proper care for a chimney can lead to a reduction in its functionality, be used as a nesting place by birds, or lead to a fire hazard.
A chimney sweep is highly recommended to be done at least once annually. Additionally, it is vital to check the condition of a chimney before moving into a house or other building structures.
Professionals should only carry out chimney sweeps, especially those certified by a chimney regulation body, such as CSIA (Chimney Safety Institute of America). For chimney sweeps, the CSIA stipulates that a chimney should be swept at least once a year, where ⅛’ of soot is identified. This is essential because the presence of soot can lead to a fire hazard.
The cost of chimney sweeps depends on various conditions, such as time, level of inspection, location, the buildup of soot or creosote, nest removal, etc. It is essential to factor in such conditions when looking for a professional chimney sweep.
This article is written by Eco-Chimney Solutions, the #1 company for chimney sweeps in Seattle WA area:
- A chimney sweep inspection and evaluation range from $45-$85.
- Generally, chimney sweeps range in cost from $100 to $300.
- Certain parts of the chimney, such as chimney linear, or tiles need to be removed, disassembled, or changed; it can cost up to $2000.
- A chimney cap may be required to prevent animal nesting, costing $100-$200.
- According to a survey by HomeAdvisor, the average cost incurred for a professional chimney sweep is $252. The regular chimney sweep ranges from $129-$377. For wood-type chimneys, a chimney sweep ranges from $85-$100, and for those with built-up soot or creosote, the average price for a chimney sweep is $800.
- A professional sweep costs an average of $250, according to NFPA (National Fire Protection Association).
- Level 1 inspection – $80-$200. The services provided for a level 1 inspection include a chimney evaluation and basic sweeping where required. This level is best suited for chimneys that do not require major work.
- Level 2 inspection – $100-$500. The services provided for a level 2 inspection include refitting necessary chimney parts and using a camera for further evaluation.
- Level 3 inspection – $1000-$5000. The level 3 inspection is best suited for chimneys with serious damage caused by various factors, such as earthquakes, collapse, etc.
- Gas-type chimneys: Professional chimney sweep for gas-type chimneys ranges from $80-$130. A gas-type chimney should be swept at least once a year.
- Prefabricated chimneys: This is a metal-type chimney. A professional chimney sweep costs an average of $150. According to NFPA standards, a metal-type chimney should be swept at least once a year to ensure it remains in good working order.
- Pellet stoves: The cost of a professional chimney sweep for pellet-stove chimneys ranges from $130-$200. Pellet stove chimney types need to be swept annually to maintain their functionality.
- Mansory chimneys: The average cost for a professional Mansory chimney sweep is $200. For Mansory chimneys, annual sweeping is recommended.
- Wood-stove chimneys: The cost of a professional chimney sweep for wood-stove chimneys ranges from $150-$300. For wood-stove chimneys, at least one chimney sweep should be performed every year to avoid fire hazards.
- Wood-burning chimneys: The average cost for wood-burning chimneys ranges from $85-$100, and for those with built-up soot or creosote, it costs an average of $800 for a professional chimney sweep. An annual chimney sweep is recommended to keep the chimney working correctly. For wood-burning chimneys used more frequently, constant sweeping is highly recommended.
- $80-$200: This budget range will provide basic chimney sweeps, including a level 1 inspection.
- $200-$500: This budget will provide minor repairs and evaluation of the chimney. It also falls within the range of level 2 inspection.
- $500-$2000: This budget will provide advanced evaluation, repairs, and maintenance of a chimney. A level 3 inspection is in the range of this budget. Chimney sweep costs will also vary based on the size of your chimney. Chimney sweeps are highly recommended to get the best out of your chimney.